Founded by educators and technologists passionate about improving education, Clever is on a mission to unlock new ways to learn for all students. Already used by more than 65% of U.S. K-12 schools, Clever brings all applications into one secure portal and provides single sign-on for everyone. With the leading network of digital learning providers, Clever makes school more engaging, personalized, and fun.
As a Security Engineer at Clever, you’ll be part of a small highly collaborative team that leads the efforts to secure our service, infrastructure, organization and protect our customers data. We are looking for someone who understands how to scale application security efforts at a growing organization.
A DAY IN THE LIFE:
By joining the Security team, you will become part of a integral part of our products by securing customer data and improving security posture by working on projects like:
- Security reviews, where you provide risk-based security subject matter expertise to our product and engineering teams
- Vulnerability detection, remediation, and preventing - find and fix vulnerabilities in our application code
- Collaborate with engineering teams in designing and developing security-sensitive code, including identity and authentication protocol code
- Review third party tools used by the company to ensure that these tools are compliant with our security practices for the data they will host and process
- Infrastructure tooling to automate security for Clever services
- Triage and own remediations to submission to our bug bounty program
- Representing Clever in the security community to stay updated on vulnerabilities and threats
- Training engineers about secure coding practices and evangelizing security in the company
We are focused on making sure we create systems and processes that allow all of Clever to create great products for teachers, students, guardians and district administrators ensuring that the data that we are custodians of are well protected. We use many AWS services (AWS WAF, IAM, Dynamo, Systems Manager Parameter Store, Route53, Cloudfront). We write frontend code in Node.js, TypeScript, and React and use Go for backend.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- 3+ years of experience as a Software Engineer
- Strong fundamentals in software engineering and experience building applications
- Familiar with common security flaws, common security libraries and security controls for web applications in a public cloud environment
- Experience working cross-functionally with engineering teams reviewing code, architecture and design to provide security risk evaluation and mitigations
- Commitment to equity and belonging. At Clever, we believe the classrooms we serve and our company’s halls should be spaces that are diverse, equitable, and inclusive. That is why we are committed to building diverse teams, inviting every voice, and creating a safe space for everyone to be their authentic self. By fostering equity and belonging within our circles of influence, we unlock learning for ALL students.
- A competitive salary and equity package in a well-funded, high-growth company
- Unlimited Paid Time Off and Paid Parental Leave
- Top-notch healthcare, vision, and dental coverage for you and your family
- Best-in-class mental healthcare service that supports employees' mental and emotional wellness
- Unlimited book learning credits to amazon.com and small, local bookstores
- Professional development budget and LinkedIn Learning subscription with unlimited access to thousands of expert-led online courses
- Annual company retreat and quarterly team events to connect with fun, bright coworkers